Saturday 21 February 2009

Angst is a German word


I was really hoping Vice's 'DOs and DON'Ts' would be in German - the rest of the magazine is and reading trash is the best way to learn because it's simple and predictable.

Message driven lecture-readings are not the best way, but I hobbled my way through last night's by hardcore punk veteran, writer, and artist Al Burian. We assumed it would be in English as he's American and his last reading was in his native tongue, but this Chicagoan has really brushed up on his German. I've picked up a bit of German so I was able to get the gist of what he said- but, a lot was lost on me. I do however, hold some such writing close to my heart (Erick Lyle aka Iggy Scam is a bit of a moral compass for me) so I picked up his book.



I will say that I give him a ton of credit for addressing a German audience so completely in their tongue. He even put together a German comic zine and gave it out to everyone in attendance. Maybe penance for calling the ISBN the sign of the anti-christ, whilst having an ISBN-sullied book for sale.

No comments: